This is the name of a book out here for Christmas, for which some celebrities were asked: "If you were to write a letter to your 16-year-old self, what would it say?" It contains their letters and some of the sale proceeds go to Elton John's Aid Foundation charity. Most advise their younger self not to take up smoking, or to be confident in their budding career paths. There's a blank page in the book for the owner to add their own letter.
I've had the book a couple of weeks and wondered what I would write knowing that at 16 I was only a few years away from some fundamental events and changes that I still feel the ripples from now. Do I regret things, would I change things? Perhaps a few tweaks to save some personal pain, but if I hadn't meet and married my first husband, I wouldn't have been "in place", after divorce, for friendship to turn to love and marry my second husband, and our son would not have subsequently been born. And whilst I would have loved to avoid depression, it has taught and continues to teach me lessons that I need to know for my journey and brings me closer to a more positive soul.
It's taken some thinking, but here's a letter I might possibly have written. Sadly I don't have any pictures of me at 16 to share, as my parents stopped taking photos of me after about 8 years old. My non-school photos only re-start after A'levels at 18.
Dear Miss 16
As I look back, with the benefit of hindsight, here are some words of advice to you, my younger self:
1. Always remember that you are worth it, not worth sh*t. Beauty can be found on the inside, not just as an outer covering.
2. In the big scheme of things, when, in the summer, you're disppointed that you “only get a C in O’level English Language”, this is really not a problem to mentally beat yourself up about. In fact, History and Art, in which you also get C's, will be much more important to you in later life than the Latin in which you get an A.
3. The most important person who truly loves you should be yourself, and you are worthy of that love.
4. Ask your grandparents to talk to you about their childhoods – it will help with your family history research later. You will also then be able to go to the Hampshire Records Office more easily, whilst you still live near Winchester, rather than now when you live hundreds of miles away. Also tell them how much you love them and give them a hug from time to time - Granny Leyshon will start to appreciate them later.
5. Some men will say anything to get into your pants. And when, at 20, that happens, tell someone in authority then. It was not your fault, and it will save yourself some guilt in the long run.
6. Leave when you’re cheated on – it’s about them, not you. You are worth so much more than that. And whilst we're at it, don't look for father figures, it doesn't work out.
7. Sadly you were right at 8 about your parents, they are unable to help or tell you that they love you in the way you need, but you are strong. So wipe the bedtime tears away, find happiness in your music and start to learn who you are. In a few years, your dad will walk out, your mum will temporarily fall apart, and neither will see your efforts or pain, so you need to build yourself up for that. Forgive them, they tried their best, but you can't change them. Your parents have to want to change, for things to be different for their relationships with your son.
8. Binge eating does not count in building yourself up, so please don’t start. A hole in your soul cannot be fed - it has to be personal, spiritual growth.
9. Remember to sparkle as much as possible :)
All my love,
Julie aged 40 something
P.S. Change your forename as soon as you can – it may be only one letter but “Julia” is so not you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Dear Julie,
I drop by your excellent blog on a regular basis. Always interested to see how your life's journey is progressing.
A most open and candid posting you have submitted. I've no doubt that by verbalising these thoughts, based on reflection to your 16 year old self; you will have found this quite the therapeutic exercise.
Keep 'sparkling', Julie. You have my ongoing support and respect.
Positive wishes, your way, Gary x
Too right, Gary, I was going to say 'keep sparkling, Julie,' too!
My 16 year old self was painfully shy and her indecision and unwillingness to push myself forward for things held be back somewhat. I wish I'd had the confidence I have now, at almost the age of 40, as I did back then. I would advise myself to have more confidence and not worry so much about what others think!
Julie, who was also very nearly a Julia - my nan was a Julie and dad wanted to name me after her but mum insisted on Julie. xx
Dear Gary, thank you for your speedy comments. I've found the last few weeks difficult as I had an assessment at Bucknell to work out if group therapy would help me. I bought the book a few weeks ago as it contained the letters of some people I admire, but initially thinking about what I would say I found very difficult - the old habit of finding it hard to say anything nice about myself. It has been quite therapeutic. I find looking at myself metaphorically speaking face-to-face difficult. The psychriatrist at Bucknall saw through me, that I'll talk about anything else other than anything truly personal about what makes up me - mainly because I haven't the foggiest idea as people in the past always told me what to do, how to think and not really to think for or about myself. It scares the hell out of me the thought of group therapy, but I hoping it may be a down to bounce up from. So that I've managed to write this for myself is progress itself. I wondered if I should have up a warning as it is frank, and have posted and deleted it, and posted and deleted it again from my facebook page, as I was unsure of opening it up to more viewers, but courage has deserted me so far. I do feel lighter for it. Best wishes, Julie x
Also thank you Julie P. At 5ft 10 when 12, I was painfully shy as I was used to being bullied for my height. It took me a long time to stand tall. We make up for missed time now, don't we though ;) Best wishes, Julie x
'A jewel shining through',
Outstanding writing and sharing; I send best wishes for the group scene. You're always in my thoughts. Love, Dixie :)XX
Thank you Dixie for your kind words: I treasure you too xx
Post a Comment